Saturday, August 12, 2017

Mechanics of the Body Squat

Since I started wearing my Vibram shoes and can now feel my feet on the ground, I've become aware of my natural tendency to supinate my left ankle while doing power presses in my BP 30! (Body Pump) class. This could be the culprit in my patellofemoral tracking disorder (kneecap tracking to the outside) as I would be placing more stress on the lateral muscles of my left leg. I decided to write this post in case I can help others become more aware of their own body position when doing bend and lift movements, such as the body squat.

To get into the proper body squat position, follow these steps:
  • Stand with your feet beneath your armpits;
  • Supinate and pronate your ankles until you find the neutral position of the tibia on the talus (i.e. ankle bones are level and you feel the three points of contact on the bottom of your feet - heel, first metatarsal, fifth metatarsal);
  • Hinge by driving the hips backward with a slight bend in your knees. To make sure you are hinging correctly, face a wall standing a few inches away and press your hips back without hitting your head on the wall;
  • Once you hinge, protect your low back by pulling your tailbone slightly forward, engaging your abs;
  • Allow tibial translation forward once you get past 30 degrees of hip flexion, keeping your knees in line with your 2nd and 3rd toes (it's okay if your knees go slightly past your toes);
  • Keep your torso parallel to your shins throughout the squat.

    Keep your torso parallel to your shins throughout the squat

References :
Comana, Fabio. “Lower Extremity Movement Mechanics.” 2017 IDEA Health & Fitness Association.
Comana, Fabio. “Functional Programming for Stability-Mobility and Movement.” ACE Personal Trainer Manual, American Council on Exercise, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment